VA Central California Health Care System
The Pharmacy Service provides clinical assessment, counseling, and medication distribution services for the Veterans we serve. Patients served by the pharmacy include all Veterans who have met the eligibility requirements of the facility. Major eligible classes include Veterans who have a service connected disability or have an income below a set threshold.
Pharmacy consists of three major sections:
- Inpatient service section
- Outpatient service section
- Clinical Services Section.
All of these sections interact and coordinate in order to provide a total and seamless care package for our Veteran population. Programs within these services include a unit dose distribution system, pharmacist medication review and approvals, IV medication production system (including preparation and reviews of total parenteral feeding), small volume solutions and antibiotics, plus chemotherapy preparation program. Patient education support is included at all levels of the Pharmacy system. Pharmacy also has direct involvement in the care and treatment planning systems and provides consultation and information services to staff and providers on a 24-hour basis. Specific programs supported include and are not limited to, Pulmonary Clinic, Smoking Cessation Clinic, Anticoagulation Clinic, Epogen Clinic, Neurology Clinic, Diabetes Clinic, Primary Care Clinics, Lipid Clinic, Mental Health support and assessments, HIV clinic support and assessments, Community Living Center support, nutritional and feeding assessments, pharmacokinetic dosing calculations, wound care management support, and clinical teaching programs for all service lines and all Veterans and their family members.
Mechanisms for Accessing Services
Pharmacy Service is operational as follows:
- Outpatient Pharmacy
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm, closed weekends and holidays
- Inpatient Pharmacy
Monday - Friday, 7:00 am – 10:00 pm
Weekends/holidays 7:30 am – 4:00 pm
Inpatient Pharmacy is open 365 days a year
- Pharmacists are available on-call during all non-operational hours in order to provide drug information and after-hours call back support
- Virtual Pharmacists are available during all non-operational hours to finish/verify all Inpatient/outpatient and Emergency Department medication orders and to provide drug information as needed.
Criteria for admission to services
Pharmacy Service is only able to serve those Veterans who have been enrolled into the VA. Pharmacy accepts Veterans per facility eligibility guidelines. Prescription medications and services are supplied via provider request. We do not provide services to non-enrollees. VA Pharmacy Service does not fill prescriptions by non-VA providers.
Telephone Care Service
We offer several fast, easy and convenient ways for patients to refill their prescriptions.
- By phone
Automated Telephone Refill System: 1-888-826-2838 (Toll-Free) X5333
You can order refills or check on the status of your prescriptions by calling our automated telephone refill system.
- Have your full 9-digit Social Security Number
- Have the prescription number(s) from your most recent prescription bottle or package
- Be sure we have your correct address and phone number
- Have a pen and paper ready to write down information
Pharmacy Advice: 1-(888) 826-2838(Toll-Free) X5340
If you have questions about your prescription medications, please call our pharmacy advice line. A pharmacy staff member can answer your questions and provide advice about your medications, possible side effects and drug interactions.
Available Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 5:30 pm, excluding federal holidays.
Refill your prescription online at MyHealtheVet. Be sure to have your prescription number(s) from your most recent prescription bottle or package.
- Prescription refills may take up to two weeks to arrive. Prevent delays in receiving your medication by ordering your refills in advance.
- If you order your refill on the same day you receive your prescription, please check the date on the prescription bottle or package. Note: refills can only be accepted AFTER the fill date.
- If you are unable to use one of our automated refill systems, please mail your refill slips to your local VA Pharmacy. Be sure to mail your refill slips at least two weeks in advance.
- All Veterans are encouraged to refill their prescriptions by phone or Internet. Because of our patient workload, prescriptions generally cannot be refilled at our pharmacy windows
- In Person
All Veterans are encourage to refill their prescriptions by phone or online.
The pharmacy is located in the main building of our Fresno Medical Center.
Fresno Medical Center
2615 E. Clinton Avenue, building #1
Fresno, CA 93703
- 559-225-6100 Ext. 5119
Hours of Operation
In Person: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm